Thursday, January 29, 2009

Some improvement...

Good news - we're still alive! We didn't crash driving home yesterday :) It got to be pretty scary looking outside, so the President dismissed everyone early and we all got to go home at 1:00! Half a snow day - I'll take it. Cory and I both left and got home safely, for which we were grateful. It's a good thing they closed school early, because by the afternoon, it looked like this:


You can see the snow coming down pretty heavy in the picture, if you look closely.

It was improved this morning. The roads were semi-clear (well, as clear as they ever get for out here). It's hard to tell, since the wind was blowing pretty strong last night, but we figure we got about 8-10 inches of new snow. We also got a little bit of freezing rain, right at the end of the storm. Lots of snow + freezing rain = super ice! It made clearing off my car this morning a nightmare. That aside, there is something very beautiful about freshly fallen snow, especially in the morning, with the sun rising. Everything feels beautiful and fresh. And it's oh-so-pretty.


Of course, they're saying we might be in for a Nor'easter next week, so my opinion about freshly fallen snow may change ... but for now, I'm just grateful we got mostly snow and not that much ice.

5 comments:

Matt, Lorie, Roger said...

I would love to experience the freshness that snow brings, along with a half snow day! I'm glad your safe and hope you can stay warm.
Alabama is pretty muggy and the cold isn't very fresh, but the warmer weather does have it's benefits at times.

The Fife's said...

I have never had a snow day! I hate driving in the snow. Since I left Huntsville I have the hardest time driving in the snow. That is one thing nice about Bryan learning defensive driving while being an officer. He always drives which brings me comfort on scary roads.

Allison said...

Chris is always jealous of snow - we got 1 1/2 inches and then ice from the same storm. But, the girls got the whole day off school. Safe driving.

Lincoln and Alisia said...

That looks beautiful! Snow days are great! And yes, we need to get together when you are in town!! I would love to do dinner with the Hamiltons!

Andrea said...

The problem is you can't do anything FUN with the snow in New York. It just hinders the fun you're already having.